Wednesday, November 5, 2014

It's Friday And I Was Thinking...... Book Review


It’s Friday and I was Thinking: West Texas Philosophy in the 21st Century is a collection of short philosophical renderings by Jack E. Wardlow III, which are delivered up to his friends on Facebook every Friday. Jack has used the social media outlet to do more than rant about politics, or report the every movement of a newborn baby. Jack entertains his audience, but he also gives astute insight into his world in rural West Texas, insight into a generation before the Millennials, and insight into the world we all confront every day. Yes, he entertains, but he also makes his readers think.  What is wonderful about Jack’s writing is that he does not sermonize, chastise, or judge; there is finesse in his writing that offends no one, but yet, can drive home a point.

It’s Friday and I was Thinking is divided into inviting chapters that allow readers to graze any given topic of interest. For example, the author opens with “Of Wives and Kids,” and continues with ‘Life in the Fast Lane,” “Country Life,” “Relationships,” “Politics,” and “Education", there are altogether ten chapters.  

It's Friday and I was Thinking  can be purchased at http://www.amazon.com/Its-Friday-Was-Thinking-Philosophy/dp/1502317044

Excerpts:

Chapter 4, Country Life, pg. 95.

I grew up in the rolling hills of Wheeler County. I can go back now and have memories of the young man that had the whole world before him. I could not wait to shake the dust of that little town off my boots and go out and make my mark on the world. As the old saying goes, "I spent 17 years wanting to leave home and the rest of  my life trying to get back." I drove the old familiar roads, saw the old familiar landscapes, past homes of childhood classmates and friends, and places where homes no longer stand. I wonder if I had a chance to bump into the younger III Wardlow what I would tell him in his haste to grow up and get on with it.

Chapter 6, Politics, pg.124.

Well, if our elected representatives cannot come to an agreement by midnight tonight the federal government will shut down. There is a part of my lil brain that thinks that might not really be such a bad deal for out country……..

Chapter 9, It’s Friday, pg. 240

If you are married or have a significant other you had to take a risk. You had to express a term of endearment or that person most likely would be with someone else right now. When we first utter the expression “I love you,” we have laid it all on the line. A sudden peal of laughter and “you have to be joking,” destroys us. Yet if we do not risk uttering those words then there is little chance of gaining the heart we seek. 

--> Jack Wardlow is Associate Dean of Research and Reports at South Plains College in Lubbock, Texas. He is also a part time farmer on “Almosta” farm outside of Levelland, Texas, where he lives with his wife Amy, several cats and dogs, a cow or two and visiting grandchildren.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment